Holy Family Catholic School Junior High school program is dedicated to preparing students for success in the future, throughout their high school careers and beyond. The junior high curriculum has been developed to provide the next phase of learning and leadership.
In addition to the core curriculum, Junior High students have the choice of two academic, graded academies which have previously been referred to as electives. The students have choices for 7th hour which is held Monday through Friday, from 1:27 PM – 2:12 PM. The students will then have the choices for 8th hour which is held from 2:15 PM – 2:55 PM Monday through Wednesday and Friday.
7th Hour Choices –Students choose one.
Art Academy – Mrs. Murray – all four quarters
- Art academy will be offered all four quarters. This academy will incorporate a variety of concepts and develop an awareness and appreciation of the arts. There is a limitless possibility of art related experiences that will occur in the Art Academy! Who is your favorite artist?
Math Academy – Mr. Wilks – all four quarters
- This is not your typical math class! Mathematical concepts through a variety of hands-on learning experiences will be offered through Math Academy. Probability, statistics, logic and math-related opportunities will be offered. Think sports stats, and more!
Music and Performance Academy – Mrs. Smith – all four quarters
- The school musical will be 1st Quarter. Those students who wish to participate in the school musical will need to register for Music and Performance Academy 1st Quarter. Following the performance, there will be an exciting time ahead! Think production of the next musical, field trips to Millikin University and their theater/music departments…the FOX in St. Louis? The stage is the limit and just the beginning of this excitement!
Science Academy – Mrs. Saloka – all four quarters
- STEM activities with an emphasis on the ‘S’…engineering, environment, biology and exploration through a variety of the sciences.
- Science Fair will be offered during 2nd Quarter. Those students who wish to participate in Science Fair will need to register for Science Academy 2nd Quarter. The State Expo will be held this year at our very own Millikin University! Holy Family Catholic School scientists this is your opportunity!
Technology Academy – Ms. Snyder – all four quarters
- This academy will offer the opportunity for students to be involved in all aspects of video production. There will be limitless opportunities for students to learn about media via technology…the 8th grade video production will be a part of this academy but know that this will not be the only creative result of the class.
8th Hour Choices – Students will need to choose one.
Every student will have PE during 8th hour. In addition to that please choose from the following for 8th hour:
Leadership Academy – all four quarters
- This academy will allow students to experience what it means to be a ‘leader’ within the classroom, the school, the community and the world! There will be opportunities to experience leadership as a part of the University of Illinois Extension Office and the 4-H program.
Junior High Band/Junior High Choir – Mrs. Smith – all four quarters
- This class will enrich the skills and talents of the students who are interested in band and music. The musical skills and gifts of the students will be supported and encouraged! There will also be opportunities to experience band and music throughout the area. College and career opportunities will be explored as a focus of this class as well.
Robotics – Mrs. Saloka – first quarter and third quarters
- This class will be team-taught by Mrs. Saloka and Ms. Snyder. Robotics is a system that teaches students how to build robots or smart machines using motors and sensors, and how to program them using an easy programming language. The students will program and build Lego Mindstorms EV3 robots. “The Lego Mindstorms is a series of kits containing software and hardware to create customizable, programmable robots. They include an intelligent brick computer that controls the system, a set of modular sensors and motors, and Lego parts from the Technic line to create the mechanical systems”.
Forensics – Mrs. Saloka – second quarter
- The study of criminal science…think NCI or Law and Order in a learning environment without the violence! Students will learn the techniques and strategies to solve a real-life mystery! Sixth grade students and any other student who has not previously taken this course will be allowed to sign up for this second quarter.
Gardening – Mrs. Saloka – fourth quarter
- Master Gardeners will work with the class to develop an understanding of gardening from seed to the table. Service Learning will be a component of this class as we look for ways to enhance the environment and serve others through the avenue of gardening.
Everyone is assigned Physical Education during 8th hour.