Holy Family Catholic School is dedicated to the complete education of each student with an extensive core curriculum. Teachers focus on religion, math, science, computers, technology, language arts, social studies, music, Spanish, and physical education. Small class groupings allow a hands-on environment for each individual student. Holy Family’s high academic focus is evident through its continuous "above national average" results on nationally-normed achievement tests.
• Pre-School (3 and 4 year olds with an ALL-DAY program for 4 year olds)
• Differentiated Instruction with Enrichment and Challenging Opportunities
• Accelerated grade and junior high programs
• K-8 Spanish instruction
• Full-time teaching assistants for Pre-School, Kindergarten, First Grade, and Second Grade
• Digital texts - iPads for PreK through Grade 5 and Chromebooks for Junior High Grades 6 - 8)
• STREAM curriculum - focus on math, science, engineering, technology
Faculty and Staff
The staff works together to provide students with an education that forms them—spiritually, intellectually, and physically. Holy Family Catholic School has a highly educated staff of more than 20 educators. Our faculty provides a challenging educational program encompassing tradition and technology in a hands-on environment, developmentally appropriate environment.
• State certified teaching staff
• Parish priest involved in religious education
• One-third of Faculty have Masters Degrees
Holy Family’s dedication to providing the best education possible is seen throughout its facilities.
Offering an environment that thrives on comprehensive achievement, the facility is designed to incorporate specialized learning units to give a thorough education. Holy Family believes this is a critical component in preparing children for success.
• Extensive technology education through a large, networked computer lab with high-speed internet
• Smart boards in all classrooms
• Science and Environmental programs
• Music facility
• Large, newly-renovated gymnasium
• On-line parent-teacher communication program
• Fully air-conditioned facility
• Secure environment
• Surrounded by more than 15 acres of athletic fields, parks, and residential areas
Holy Family integrates a Fine Arts program into the core curriculum, providing a dynamic cultural and educational experience.
• Weekly Visual Arts K-8
• Children’s Choir
• Junior High Choir
• Beginning and Advanced Band
• Annual School Musicals
The athletic program provides students with a structured and fun environment. Programs are designed to build teamwork and leadership initiatives while developing valuable skill sets. Varied athletic opportunities are offered to students in the K-8th grades.
• Basketball • Soccer
• Volleyball • Baseball
• Track • Decatur Catholic Bulldogs Football
• Cross Country
Co-Curricular and Extra-Curricular Activities
Holy Family Catholic School believes in building individuality
within each child. Our co-curricular and extra-curricular
activities provide a venue both during and after school,
allowing students to achieve comprehensive excellence in
their daily curriculum while excelling in their specific areas of
interest. Holy Family offers a broad range of opportunities
to inspire young minds to achieve.
• Before /After School Care • Athletic Programs
• Student Council • Community Service
• Environmental Activities • Yearbook
• Scholastic Bowl • Speech Contest
• Math Team • Science Competition
• Bridge Pals • History Fair
• Geography Bee • Spelling Bee
• Boy Scouts / Girl Scouts • Instrumental Competition
• Art Exhibits • Music Solo & EnsembleCompetition
A Proud History
Holy Family School opened with grades 1-6 in September of 1961 with 204 students. Holy Family School was administered by the Springfield Dominican Sisters of Sacred Heart Convent who currently staff our parish school with a K-8 enrollment of 264 students and a Pre-School enrollment of 22 three- and four-year-olds.
In 1989, under the direction of Holy Family's pastor, The Reverend Eugene Costa, a new addition was added to Holy Family School allowing the school new classrooms, and also the parish received a beautiful new Parish Center. In the fall of 1994, through the generosity of parishioners and the Decatur Business Community, Holy Family School was able to install a new state of the art networked computer lab in the school.
Our Mission Statement
Holy Family Catholic School opened, supported by family, faculty and parish, will inspire young minds to grow in the Catholic faith and to live the message of the Gospel through education, experience, and example.
WE BELIEVE that Catholic Education has been entrusted to us by Jesus, Himself. This education ministry seeks to communicate religious truths and Gospel values, provides for a vital experience of Faith within a Christian Community and inspires apostolic action.
WE BELIEVE Holy Family Catholic School is a community of faith, where parents, the primary educators of children, work together with teachers in a spirit of mutual respect and commitment. We strive together to help the child integrate Catholic truths and values with all of life.
WE BELIEVE that the specific commitment of the Catholic school to the student is the Christian development of the whole person. Therefore, the child's total potential - religious, moral, intellectual, physical, emotional and social - is accepted, developed and strengthened. We strive to provide a school environment of caring, loving, sharing, trusting and mutual respect between teachers, parents and students. Within this environment each child is encouraged to recognize and develop his/her individual abilities.
WE BELIEVE discipline that leads to self-discipline is an essential part of the Christian environment. Each child is encouraged to accept responsibility for his/her choices. Religious truths, Christian values, and service projects direct these choices.
WE BELIEVE that Holy Family's Educational Programs are in accordance with Diocesan Policies and State Regulations. The instruction is authentic in doctrine and contemporary in presentation.
WE BELIEVE that Holy Family Catholic School educates through faith and life experiences, in addition to academic programs. We strive to prepare the child to be a vital member of a changing world and to actively participate in the local and parish community. We challenge each child to live a life of prayer, personal responsibility and freedom reflective of Gospel values.